Monday, November 17, 2008

So.

My mom informed me today that this year, my family will not be having turkey for Thanksgiving.

We will be having Cornish Game Hens.

I'm quite pissy about it. You wait all effing year for Thanksgiving. The turkey, the mashed potato's, the giblet gravy, the green beans, bread, dirty rice, all the deserts... ugh.

My family used to go to Southern California for Thanksgiving to my grandpas to spend it with my Dad's family. But when my grandpa passed away and his house was sold, we quit going. I've never known why, and I never got a straight answer when I asked.

So Thanksgiving has been spent with my mom's side since, but since about four years ago, has been changing again. All holidays (Easter, Thanksgiving & Christmas) are now spent at my aunt's house. My uncle has been sick, and progressively getting worse.

Last year, we almost lost him, and that led to a not so happy holiday season. Family members were absent, someone boycotted and refused to come down to join guests and the atmosphere was just unplesant. Understandable, but I'm a big believer in tradition when it comes to holidays. I'm also a big believer in hope, and trying to carry on as normal as possible, even with sad or complicated times. Normalcy helps me get through tough times and I can't stand it when others just fall into a nasty pattern.

I just remember a time where the holiday's were so magical and filled with love and good times and happy memories. Now it's all gone kaput. Nobody seems interested in keeping things the same except me. Is that so wrong?

I'm going to push for an alternate Thanksgving dinner the weekend after, even if I have to do it myself. I want a turkey and all the normal sides. I want happy pictures and happy people with nice attitudes.

You are more than welcome to come over.

No comments: